Tuesday, October 6, 2009

FALL 2009


Here it is fall again. I thought since it has almost been a whole year since I last posted anything that I would slide in something at this time and no one notice the difference. Chances are by now that no one is following the blog and for that reason no one will notice as well.
Temperatures are falling. The other morning when I got up it looked like the first frost was upon the grass coming down the hill in front of the house. Surely not! Too dark to really know. But when I climbed into the pickup I had to turn on the windshield wipers and defroster and wait a little while for it to melt away.
Fall. In the old days fall meant football weather. Now fall means Redwood Camp. Campmeeting usually brings visitors and lots of good times with old friends. This year we got a call from Bobby and Rachel Jones looking for a place to stay during camp. We were more than happy to have them come our way.
Bobby was hoping to do a little fishing while here but the with the recent rains the creeks have been muddy and swollen. Looks like the fishing is out for this trip.
Monday before they were to arrive here in the late afternoon I stirred up some Thai food. Spicy basil chicken has become a family favorite so that is usually a good starter. I tried out a new recipe as well on them - thai peanut chicken - and then stirred up a spicy cucumber salad for a side. I mentioned what we were having ahead of time so they saved their appetites for the spicy dishes. Things went well and the new recipe was good too. I think with them it was the favorite.
The reason I think it was the favorite was because we had just a little bowl of it left over. We put it in the refrigerator and about 10:30 that night it caught Bobby's attention as he made one of his frequent inspections of the fridge (I may be slightly embellishing the story). He took it out and looked it over. He then lifted the saran wrap and again smelled the aroma. He usually just gobbles stuff down so I don't know why he was taking so long with it other than he was supposed to be on a diet. I told him that I had cooked all night long, and he had eaten all night long and that he surely had enough. After all there was two big dishes and he had knocked out the one all except this tiny bowl. Whatever possessed him to listen to me and put the bowl back I will never know for he has never once listened before. He must have happened to think of his diet but soon forgot about it for as he turned around he spied the 7-Up bundt cake Tim had made. Up went the lid and there went the cake.
Things got real interesting about that time for Rachel really liked the Peanut Chicken too. While Bobby had his nose in the cake Rachel made a quick pass by the fridge and grabbed the leftovers and took no time looking or smelling it but just got a spoon and came back into the living room and dug in. Imagine the shock on our dear friend's face as he realized all future opportunities for that particular dish was fading fast. He quickly traded the kitchen for the living room, following his lovely wife, pleading his case all the time. Rachel is a smart one though. She made sure she kept the coffee table between her and her beloved. After a few rounds around the table with her always just on the other side, he traded his shocked looks for a pouting one and sat on the couch dejected. I thought Rachel might give him half but she worked it down to just a few bites remaining before she gave him opportunity. I think he kept his sanctification but no doubt it was tried.
Anyway, like I said it is fall and with fall comes camp meeting. Sure would be good time to get help. Especially after such a time of great trial and tribulation.

3 comments:

Travis, Donna, Alyssa, Marissa, Trae said...

We have been waiting for an update for a whole year..Thanks for the update!!Is this tammy or dan that gave the update? We miss you guys so much!!Love you guys!! We are watching your blog...

Dan Williams said...

It is Dan. And yes we miss you all too. Would love for some of you to have made it back this way but Lord willing maybe we can get together at Mesa Camp. If the Lord makes a way we hope to go.

Serving Jesus in the valley of the sun said...

We KNOW the LORD will make a way for y'all to come to mesa camp. Sure wish we could make it to redwood at some point. We sure enjoyed Palmdale camp and getting to know some new people. Miss ya guys( but not enough to send any more pics) hahaha.. see a year later and I can joke about it!! rofl

HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD - Part 1

HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD - Part 2

LIFE IS LIKE A CUP OF COFFEE