Sunday, October 18, 2009

Personal Salvation

I read this week of a couple individuals who loved each other dearly. One was a young girl who's name was Ellen; the other was an elderly relative who was sick. Ellen had seen this individual decline for some time and anxiously waited and hoped for recovery. Every day she gingerly nursed her elderly friend back towards health. Ellen loved him so much she felt she would do almost anything for him. The feeling on his side was mutual. One day as she cared for him, he called her to his side: “Ellen, it is time for me to take my medicine, I think. Will you pour it out for me? You must measure just a table-spoonful, and then put it in that wine-glass close by.” Ellen did so quickly, and brought it to his bedside; but, instead of taking it in his own hand, he quietly said: “Now, dear, will you drink it for me?” “I drink it! What do you mean? I am sure I would, in a minute, if it would cure you all the same; but you know it won’t do you any good unless you take it yourself.” “Won’t it, really? No; I suppose it will not. But, Ellen, if you can’t take my medicine for me, I can’t take your salvation for you. You must go to Jesus, and believe in Him for yourself.” In this way he tried to teach her that each human being must seek salvation for himself, and repent, believe and obey for himself. How simple really; none need be without the cure. How we want our loved ones well. There is a "Balm in Gilead" (Jeremiah 8:22)and his lovely name is JESUS.

“When you’re down in that ole valley,
Prayer is all I can offer you.
When our Lord sends deliverance and
He strengthens you.
When you get up on God's mountain
And look behind you
And see me struggling
trying to make it alone,
Just lift my name up to Jesus .
Let’s help each other make it home.”

No comments:

HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD - Part 1

HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD - Part 2

LIFE IS LIKE A CUP OF COFFEE