skip to main |
skip to sidebar
GRANDMA AUGUSTA RITTER


My Grandma “Gussie” was quite a woman. With me coming a little later on in mom and dad’s life, Grandma Ritter was really the only Grandma I ever knew. We, as a family, always lived away from her and would go for visits. Before I was born Grandma followed the Davidson’s out to Mesa, Arizona where they were working amongst the Pima and Maricopa Indian people. A little later she moved on down to Casa Grande, AZ along with the Atterberry’s in mission work in what they called “skid row.” I have memories of stories being told of their holding services in what was an old bank and living in the building as well. I find it interesting, when those that were around in that day, ask one another: “Did you ever spend the night in the vault?” I find myself feeling very proud of my Grandma as different ones tells stories of her walking down the sidewalk and the men, although they may have been drunk at the time, stepping off the sidewalk and removing their hats, as my Grandma walked by. At that time Grandma Ritter was single with one child at home, Uncle Eldon, and yet willing to go to such a rough place in the hope of helping someone towards heaven. Shortly before I was born my grandma would move back here to Ritchey, Missouri to pastor the little church here where I am now pastoring following in her footsteps.
When I was only 8 months old, my own dad and mom felt “a calling” out West where dad would go and pastor for a few years alongside the Davidson’s in the mission church the Davidson’s had started by the reservation. Mom and Dad and Grandma would exchange places again when I was four years of age as they would move back to this big city with the population of approximately 72 people and Grandma would move back out to Arizona, this time to pastor the church in Sunnyslope, AZ, a suburb of Phoenix. She would pastor this group of people for at least nine years and they would grow to love her dearly. We would make many a trip back and forth during those years to visit, usually going around Christmas in time to attend the campmeeting held at the Mesa mission church and stay to visit as well. It was not unusual for us to make a second trip during the hot summer months to spend some more time with her. It is while Grandma was in Sunnyslope that I have my real first memories of her though some faint ones are back there concerning earlier times. I can still see her little trailer parked over in Smoker’s (that was the last name of the owners and landlords of the lot that she rented) trailer park. The Sunnyslope church was just over the wall and some oleanders that separated them. For whatever reason I can still hear the sounds of the doves cooing outside here trailer and there is a certain earthy smell that I can never get away from that we did not have in Missouri. My nephew would come with my sister and her family and we would bounce the super balls up and down the road. Sometimes he would bring his skateboard and we would ride or go play basketball at the school close by. As we got older we were even allowed to take walks up to the stores and around in what I thought was a tremendous city. Now coming from a small town like Ritchey, it was very interesting to see all of the cars, buses, and people in such a hurry.
Later when Grandma would quit pastoring Sunnyslope, she would go back to Mesa and help in the mission there. We would still continue our visits while she stayed in the camp kitchen/dorm for a few years. Mom and Dad would exchange places again many years later as Grandma would come back to live in Rogers, Arkansas not so very far away and then they would take one more time at the Mesa Church and then return to spend a little time with her before she would leave us. Before Grandma’s passing my wife, Tammy, and I got saved and learned to appreciate her all the more. We always appreciated her for the wonderful person that she was and the witty sense of humor that she had, but then we would also learn more about the spiritual burden that she bore and her desire to help others. A few years after being saved, the Lord also gave me a “call” to preach. I would be taking up Grandma’s mantle. They tell me when she found out that I had received God’s call to preach that “she laughed and she cried.” I would find out in time through experience that she laughed because she knew the joys that I would be experiencing as people would take “the way” and be saved for time and eternity. I would find out that she cried because of knowing the spiritual burdens that I would face, the misunderstandings that would take place and the sorrow when people would reject the light. But one thing about Grandma – she was as faithful as they come. She knew what she believed and lived it. She could be one of the most fun people you could ever be around or you could talk over serious things together or, if need be, you could cry together and she would be real. I sure do miss her. I sometimes would like to sit down together and talk things over and glean some advice from her wisdom. But Grandma has gone on to her reward in heaven. She has shown what it is to be a true Christian. She did not leave me wondering how to get there. She has laid down a clear, plain, well-lit path for me to follow. Even after all of these years when I tell people that I am “Augusta Ritter’s grandson” they still remember her.
I hope that when I come to the end of my way, that I can do as Grandma Ritter did. I hope to leave a testimony that there is no doubt that I made it to heaven. I hope I “loved” in such a way as to influence people towards the good ways of the Lord. I hope to leave a plain path behind that whoever is looking on knows how to get there. Thanks, Grandma for showing us “the way.”
We miss you and appreciate you so much.


1 comment:
I have many memories of your Grandma, she was definitely a very special lady. As a child in AZ, when she stayed at our house; making the trip from AZ to CA camp in 1974 with my dad, my sister and I, plus many others.
Post a Comment