Some of the highlights of the year always include being able to go to different church camps. One camp that has always meant so much to us is Redwood Camp. While living in Arizona, Redwood Camp meant being able to see family again, a long journey, usually trying to see who all we could take along on the roadtrip, or maybe us doing the roadtrip and picking up some of our sheep at the airport in Tulsa. We always knew that if we could get someone to go that they would be well rewarded by being in services where the presence of the Lord was felt consistently. In such atmosphere a young Christian can't help but grow in grace and be more rooted spiritually. When mom and dad was a few years younger and in a little better shape, it was not unusual for us to fill up their house with plenty of guests. Our family would fill up the front upstairs bedroom, Susie and hopefully someone else would be taking the back upstairs bedroom, and Gareth was willing to take the couch in the living room. Others that wanted to come knew that they could find a welcome stay at dear Sister Mazie's. At that time of the year you never knew whether you would be looking for a fan to stick in the window or be pulling up the covers but it really did not matter - it was good to be at Camp.
Times have changed some things. Now that we are living back here in this big city of Ritchey going to Redwood Camp means just hopping in the car, travelling over a few hills and around a few curves in the road, make just one turn from Tiger Rd to Newton Rd, and you can soon pull in. In fact we travel by there every little bit as we go back and forth to shop in Joplin. Mom and Dad are physically not up to all the overnight company anymore although they tell me that they sure do miss it and wish they could do it again. Now guests are staying at our house and the good times with friends have simply changed addresses from up on the hill to down at the parsonage.
But, thankfully, some things have not changed at all. Redwood Camp still comes in the fall. And the Lord still comes consistently to Redwood Camp. This year was no exception. Obviously, His manifestation is felt more in some services than others but being in a position where I could be there every service my how wonderful it was to see and feel God come into our midst time and time again. The Word is still preached with the annointing. The testimonies still ring. There were times that the special singing went clear through. The congregational singing was good. The last night as I sat on the platform with piano, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, steel guitar, electric guitar, and accordian music filling the air along with the beautiful congregational singing it seemed most heavenly. Some may think it a little exagerated but not so - not for one that enjoys the presence of the Lord. Thank God some things are still the same.
One way you can tell how good something is is by whether individuals want more. As we all said our goodnights and goodbyes I made sure to thank different ones for coming. Came back their replies: "Oh, it was our pleasure to be here. We wouldn't want to miss it. We'll be back next year." Such music to the ears is God's happy people enjoying themselves in the presence of the Lord. Next year. Yes if God should allow us another year, some time in the fall when the weather begins to make a few more changes and the nights become a little more crisp we will be looking forward to gathering again. For now, I guess we will just have to look forward to the next camp. Hmmm . . . . before long those beautiful golden leaves are going to fall and the trees are going to start looking pretty barren. The cool, crisp is going to turn to flat out cold! Hey . . . . Mesa, AZ Camp is coming in December. Palm trees, cactus, and a sandy dessert. Anyone up for a roadtrip. I hear (and know) the presence of the Lord felt there consistently!
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Great update!! Glad to hear the good news about the camp!! We think of you guys very often!! love and miss you guys..
Sounds like I missed a good one! I was a little "camped out" from the busy summer, but should've made room for one more. Love and miss you guys!
I just read your story about Angie, and that was HILARIOUS. anyway, you may already know this, but I found out how you can tell if jalapenos are hot before you cut into them. I overheard some guy at Food City telling someone that the veinier they are, the hotter they are. And the same or next day, by some weird coincidence I read the same thing on the Internet when I was researching something else. I guess when they get really old they turn red. Anyway, you may have already known this but thought I'd write a novel and pass it along.
Post a Comment