On Wednesday nights we have decided some time ago to make the midweek services at the Ritchey church a prayer meeting. Though we usually sing some congregational songs, testify if one feels led, and have reading of the Word, the emphasis of the service is taking time to pray. Many times God has come and and strength has been gained for the Christian walk. As well, many times we know that our prayers have been heard and surely God is working in behalf of the petitions that have been brought before him. This last Wednesday, I felt, was especially good as it was so easy to pray and know that I was in God's presence. Others seemed to be getting extra help, as well, for I could hear their voices being lifted up to God in more fervency. Unbeknownst to me though was a little fellow in the back of the church getting help.
As service came to a close and people began to visit with one another before going home, our little Matthew came up to the front seat of the church where I was standing, visiting with someone. I looked down and noticed that his face was red and he had been crying. He is a busy 7 year old boy and I suspected that he may have had an accident. Looking down to him I asked him how come he had tears; had he gotten hurt. He responded: "No. I've been praying." Well, that is music to a father's ears and so I put my arm around him and pulled him in close as I continued visiting. What seemed a little extra special though was that as I put my arm around him, he laid his head on my side and snuggled in close. I soon realized that things were a little different than norm and took time to ask him: "Matthew, did you feel Jesus tonight." He responded that he had and snuggled in again.
As Tammy and I arrived at home we went on into the bedroom. Tammy sat upon the bed and I sat at the desk chair. Matthew soon joined us and sat beside his mother. Before long he said, "Mom, I feel so happy." He went on to say, "I feel the happiest I have ever felt." Tammy asked him: "Did you feel like you got saved tonight?" His reply was: "Sort of." But it was said not in so much of a way of doubting it but considering. He snuggled in close to his mommy for a while and then came over and sat upon my lap. He looked up at me and said, "Dad, did I get saved tonight?" I responded in the best way that I knew how to guide a young child: "Matthew, if you know that God came to you tonight, you have every reason to take Him." He got the biggest of smiles upon his face and put his arms around my neck and then laid his head upon my chest and snuggled in again. He really wasn't talking all that much but it was his serious consideration for all that had just happened that got my attention. He had the sweetest of expressions on his face. He had touched heaven and knew it. It is so thrilling to know that God can come and touch the heart of a little boy praying all by himself at the backseat of the church during a prayer meeting service when no one else even knows what is going on.
I believe that all 7 year old boys are going to go to heaven as they very well have not reached the age of accountability yet anyways. But I also believe that as we grow up we need to have a place in life where we can point back to and know where we were saved; know that we are ready to meet God. Matthew has touched heaven. He knows it! If he can keep the experience that he has gained (and I know a lot of the responsibility relies on Tammy and I as parents to guide him as to how to keep it up to date) he does not have to go out into sin. I found out later that in their homeschooling classes just a couple of days before that during a time of Tammy reading to Matthew their conversation had turned to the importance of getting saved and being ready for heaven. Tammy said as they visited together she could "feel" the words going out. God had taken them and helped a little heart to have direction. On Wednesday night as others were getting help in their praying little Matthew did some praying of his own. And God came to him! How wonderful! Isn't God good? The Bible says: Suffer the little children to come to come unto me and forbid them not, for of such is the kingdom of God." Truly!
We, as parents, ask for your prayers for God's wisdom. We ask for your prayers for Matthew that he will be able to keep forever that which God has done for him. We ask you for prayers for our whole family for we (as you) want an unbroken circle in our heavenly home. God has blessed us with a wonderful family. We want, without fail of one, for each of us to make it safely . I thank the Lord for what He has done! On Wednesday, October 28, 2009, our little Matthew prayed through.
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
So glad to hear the good news!! That is such "WONDERFUL NEWS"!!! God is still on the throne!! Sometimes God has to show us that the little ones!! We are so encouraged by that. We love you guys so much and miss you so much on the west coast..
We so appreciate what God has done. I visited Trav the other day and was so glad to hear how God is helping yours. We look forward to seeing you all again too. We pray for you all often.
Post a Comment